Contemporary Christian Music For Weddings
What is the definition of Christian Contemporary Music? Read it here.
This article focuses on a wedding that will have a Contemporary Christian Music style. If you are planning a traditional Christian music wedding, click here.
When we talk about “wedding chuch music”, we are talking about songs which are appropriate in a church, for a Christian wedding. There are six types of wedding church songs that can be put into such a wedding:
1) Christian contemporary love songs
2) Christian-friendly” songs that are popular in Christian weddings, but which are actually secular.
4) Sacred Wedding songs (not hymns)
5) Modern Christian wedding songs (from the last 40 years)
6) Classical songs that fit into a Christian wedding
Here are some specific song recommendations. Any of these songs can be performed in a more contemporary feel if you have a musician that plays in a more modern style:
Christian Contemporary Love Songs
- The Wedding – Michael Card
- This is the Day (A Wedding Song) – Scott Wesley Brown
- Love with Me (Melody’s Song) – Keith Green
- I Will Be Here – Steven Curtis Chapman
- Cinderella – Steven Curtis Chapman
- You’ve Got Me – Steven Curtis Chapman
- I Will Never Go – Twila Paris
- How Beautiful by Twila Paris
- Love of My Life – Jim Brickman (featuring Michael W. Smith)
- For You – Michael W. Smith
- Friends – Michael W. Smith
- Unfailing Love (Kelly’s Song) – Jimmy Needham
- The Day Before You – Matthew West
- Waltz For Jennifer – FFH
- Holding Hands - Steve Green
- First Love Song – Across the Sky
- This Day – Jadon Lavik
- Bethany Dillon – For My Love
- A Page Is Turned – Bebo Norman
“Christian-friendly” Secular Songs
- There is Love (Wedding Song) – Paul Stookey
- Longer – Dan Fogelberg
- Endless Love – Lioniel Richie
- Morning has Broken by Cat Stevens – Originally written as an ancient Gaelic tune known as “Bunessan” and later used by Christians as a hymn, this song was made famous by Cat Stevens and is popular in weddings.
- Artists such as Garth Brooks often write Christian love songs or have some good love songs that are appropriate for a Christian wedding. You have to take a look at the lyrics of the song and determine if you want to use it. Remember, you can always adjust the lyrics in your wedding, but some people who attend might know the original lyrics already.
Popular Hymns for Weddings:
- AmazIng Grace (always makes a great vocal solo that most people will appreciate)
- How Great Thou Art (instrumental version on pipe organ is great for the recessional at the end)
- All Things Bright and Beautiful (Great for pipe organ preludes).
For more hymns and Christian love songs you can check Google.
Traditional – Sacred
Even in a wedding with a Christian Contemporary Music theme, these famous Christian sacred songs will be appreciated by everyone, and especially any of your older guests:
- The Lord’s Prayer – Albert Hay Malotte
- Ave Maria – Franz Schubert, opera 52
Modern Christian (not contemporary)
- Gentle Shepherd – Gloria Gaither and William J Gaither
- I am Loved – William J Gaither and Gloria Gaither
- What A Difference You’ve Made In My Life
(Note: There are many great Christian classical composers from the past)
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring – Johann Sebastian Bach (great for the prelude)
- Canon in D – Pachelbel
- Handel’s Water Music (Handel was a devout Christian)
Note: Do not use the traditional “Bridal Chorus” (Lohengrin opera by Wagner) for a church wedding, as it is not a Christian song and many churches actually forbid it from being used at all.
David Lieder has produced the music for over 200 weddings and has a book that helps brides plan the perfect wedding by controlling their wedding music and planning in advance: Wedding Planning: Don’t Forget About The Wedding Music.
Incoming search terms:
- christian wedding songs 2011
- church wedding songs
- wedding church songs
- contemporary christian wedding songs
- wedding church music
- christian love songs for weddings
- church songs for weddings
- church wedding songs 2011
- top christian wedding songs 2011
- christian love songs for weddings 2011